Musicians and deaths
Did someone really see 2Pac and Biggie in Hawaii? Probably not but Elvis Presley is currently working as an undercover agent for the DEA and in the last year, Michael Jackson has been ‘spotted’ in Paris, Israel and Disney World.
Oh, and Bob Marley was given a pair of boots by the CIA that had a small copper wire that jabbed his toe and gave him the cancer that eventually killed him.
The death of iconic pop stars comes with conspiracy theories more than any other cultural or popular culture.
Why do we refuse to believe that a celebrity is dead, or accept that they died the way we are told? Why these more than regular people?
Perhaps it’s because we place them on a pedestal that surpasses death, as their music lives on, and their cultural influence never dies. Interestingly those with such theories surrounding their death, whilst are celebrated icons of their time, also had a number of issues – Elvis was overweight and a drug user, Michael Jackson struggled with his image and health; so perhaps it is human nature to fantasise about their new idyllic lives.
Wishful thinking perhaps, but either way the conspiracy theories help us remember such icons. With this in mind, here are five of our favourite Elvis conspiracy theories.
1. Elvis’ name isn’t spelt right on his headstone, so he can’t be officially dead.
2. Elvis faked his own death
3. Elvis actually died in the mid 90’s
4. After faking his own death, Elvis broke his leg in a motorcycling accident
5. Play his hit ‘That’s Alright (Mama) backwards at around 1.23 and you will hear him taking an order from Wendy’s ‘..yes ma’am.. cheese.. cheeseburger.. and cheesy fries… 6.49’